File a Public Health Complaint

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Air, Water, Public Pool, Restaurant and Food Truck Complaints 

Issues we can investigate:

Water Sampling

In general, we are the enforcement agency responsible for investigating complaints related to general public health threats including restaurant, food truck, public swimming pool and air and water pollution concerns.  

(If you think you're ill from eating at a restaurant in Galveston County, please see the Foodborne Illness section of this page.)

How to file a complaint:

Use the form below to submit a complaint. If you prefer file a complaint over-the-phone, please call 409.938.2251 or 409.938.2411.

When it's not within our jurisdiction: 

In some cases, we may not be the appropriate agency to assist you. Here are common complaints and the agencies that have jurisdiction:

  • Pollution around an oil well: Texas Railroad Commission - 877.228.5740
  • Indoor air pollution: Local city government or the Department of State Health Services
  • Noise pollution: Local police.
  • Litter, illegal trash or used oil dumping: Galveston County Nuisance Abatement - 409.766.4509

If you live in one of the following cities or counties and have an air pollution complaint, please contact the local office listed below. 

  • Houston: Bureau of Pollution Control and Prevention - 832.393.5730
  • Harris County: Harris County Pollution Control Services Department - 713.920.2831
  • Outside Galvston County: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality -1.888.777.3186
There may be other situations when our jurisdiction is limited. In those cases, our office will attempt to direct you to another agency that can address your concerns.

Foodborne Illness Complaints

If you think you're ill from eating at a restaurant in Galveston County, it's important you quickly report it to GCHD Epidemiology. Prompt reporting gives our epidemiologists the best chance of determining the source. When you call, be prepared to offer information about your symptoms, when symptoms started, where and what you recently ate and if you have seen a doctor. 

  • During working hours Mon-Fri 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • 409.978.4041 – Donya Guyton, Epidemiologist
    • 409.938.2215 – Belinda Hernandez, Epi Data Intake Specialist
    • 409.938.2208 – Sharon Stonum, Epidemiology Manager


  • Do I have to provide my identity when I file a public health complaint?
  • What happens after I file a public health complaint with GCHD?
  • After I file a public health complaint, when should I expect to hear back from GCHD?
  • What happens if I am not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint investigation?
More FAQs

 About you
About you
About the subject of the complaint
About the subject of the complaint
Upload a picture (if available)
  1. To receive a copy of your submission, please fill out your email address below and submit.